Four days, with a night in a hut, to learn how to manage your safety and improve you skills on rocky, glaciated and mixed terrain. You climb independently from your guide - roped together in small teams of a maximum of three or four people - but under his or her direct supervision.
Independence and safety in the mountains are the watchwords for this course, which is the logical next step after the ‘Introduction to mountaineering’ courses.
Day 1 : Ice-climbing practice on Mer de Glace
- Evaluating participants’ skills.
- Placing ice-screws, basic cramponing, using 10-spike crampons, ice-climbing ice- axe, setting-up a crevasse rescue…
- Evaluating conditions, selecting a route, understanding a route description…
Day 2 : Rock climb
- Evaluation of participants’ skills.
- Belaying for “top roping”, setting a belay station, learning how to abseil, leading a pitch and climbing second, placing protection, …
- Evaluating conditions, chosing a route, understanding a route description in a guide book, …
Day 3 : Rock or snow and ice climb : The guide selects a route adapted to particpants’ skills.
Rock climbing examples : Voie Rébuffat, Trident du Tacul, le Pouce, ...
Mixt climb examples : Arête des Cosmiques, Triangle du Tacul, Arête Midi-Plan, …
Day 4 & 5 : 2-day climb with a night in a hut
Taking group motivation and climbing skills into consideration, the guide will select a route to end the course.
Examples : Aiguille du Moine, Flamme de Pierre, Arête Midi plan, Envers des Aiguilles dorées,…If necessary, your guide may adjust the program to participants’s skills and motivation,
as well as to weather forecast and overall mountain conditions.
In case of bad weather conditions in the Chamonix valley, we can drive to Italy or Switzerland and enjoy great mountaineering too.
Ability level: For people who regularly exercise/take part in sports. . Six to seven hours of exercise per day. A mountaineering experience is necessary and the desire to become autonomous.
Group: 3 to 4 people. The Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix's guiding policy is one of the strictest in the mountain guiding business. It guarantees the most balanced groups as possible as well as high-quality personalised advice.
Accommodation: Half-board in hut.
Equipment: File can be downloaded from the website, under the ‘details’ tab.
You can rent your equipment through the following links:
Documentation: Participants must have mountain sports insurance with repatriation cover. We strongly recommend that this also includes cancellation cover. You can take out insurance offering both of these types of cover when you sign up. Participants must also take valid ID with them.
Dates: From Monday to Thursday
Every weeks from June 04th to September 10th.
+ Pentecost: May 18th to 21st
+ All Saints Day: October 22nd to 25th
Meeting and transport: Meet at 8.30am at the Chamonix Guides Company: 190 place de l’église.
Price 2018: 690€ per person based on minimum of 3 participants.
Included in the package:
- IFMGA English speaking mountain guiding service,
- Half-board to the Cosmiques hut (dinner, breakfast and night),
- Lift access as per programme.
- Personal drinks and other personal expenses (we recommend you bring Euros),
- Take out lunches and daily snacks,
- Cost of getting to meeting point,
- Personal technical equipment including your mountaineering shoes.
For private group (minimum 2 people), we can organize this course at any time.
Phone: +33 450 53 00 88